I don't want to Face ID/fingerprint whenever I want to check the map.

Answers to common questions.
bruce@handylogic.ca
Site Admin

I don't want to Face ID/fingerprint whenever I want to check the map.

Post by bruce@handylogic.ca » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:33 pm

When you are navigating out in the field it can be a real pain having to Face ID or fingerprint each time you want to check the map. Fortunately IOS has a mode called "Guided Access" that will allow you to bypass the authentication and notification screens altogether. When you turn on your phone it will go right to Trail Boss.

To enable Guided Access go to the phone's Settings App and then 'General' then 'Accessibility'. Near the bottom you will find 'Guided Access', enable it. You only have to do that once.

When you are in Trail Boss, triple click the sleep/wake button to activate Guided Access mode. The first time you use Guided Access you will see an 'Options' button at the bottom of the screen, tap it and enable the 'Sleep/Wake' button. This will allow you to power off/on the phone while in Guided Access mode.

Once Guided Access mode is activated you can shut your phone off, and when you turn it back on it skips the authentication and notification screens and goes right to Trail Boss.

To exit Guided Access mode triple click the sleep/wake button.