How do I share a trip with my friends or online services?

Answers to common questions.
bruce@handylogic.ca
Site Admin

How do I share a trip with my friends or online services?

Post by bruce@handylogic.ca » Wed May 02, 2018 6:33 pm

Trail Boss can export KMZ and GPX files. KMZ is a file format made popular by Google Earth. GPX is a file format used by many 3rd party Apps. For example, Strava, Garmin and many other online sites can import Trail Boss trips using the GPX format.
  1. Go to the 'Trip Log' page and select the trip’s share button.
  2. Select the GPX or KMZ share option.
  3. If you want to email the trip to a friend then select 'Share with IOS Email'. Trail Boss will generate an email with the file attached. This option uses the IOS built-in email App. If you use a different email App such as Google or Outlook then use the 'Share With Another App' option.
  4. If you want to view the trip in another App on your iPhone then select 'Share With Another App'. Then choose from the list of Apps that are installed on your phone. Use this option to view the trip in Apps such as Google Earth, All Trails, Strava, Google Mail, Outlook Mail etc.
Instructions for the trip email recipient:
  1. Tell your friend to open the email on their phone and tap the attachment icon.
  2. They will be presented with a list of Apps that can import the attachment (they may have to select the ↥ share button to see the App list). Select Trail Boss or whatever other mapping App they use.
  3. If they import the trip file into Trail Boss it will be added to the Trip Log and marked "Imported".
Instructions for Online Services:
  1. If the service has a mobile App then install it and use option 4 above to share the trip to their App.
  2. Otherwise, use option 3 above to email the trip to yourself. Save the trip attachment to disk. Then visit the service in your browser and find their upload option. Select the saved trip and upload it.