How can I pre plan a route so that I have a track line to follow?

Answers to common questions.
bruce@handylogic.ca
Site Admin

How can I pre plan a route so that I have a track line to follow?

Post by bruce@handylogic.ca » Thu May 03, 2018 12:44 pm

You can create and save a route using the measure tool.

See our help videos:
Create a route that follows trails that are shown on Trail Boss's map.
Create a route where there are no trails on Trail Boss's map.
Create a route that follows trails from a trip in your trip log.

1. Position the map so the ⊹ cursor is at the route start point.
  2. Tap the Measure Tool button (the calipers button near the bottom right of the map page). This will reveal the red routing buttons along the right side of the screen.
  3. Position the map so the ⊹ cursor is at the end of the route or, for multi-leg routes, at the end of the first leg.
  4. Tap the route + button to add a straight line leg to the route. If you want the route to follow roads or trails then tap the route mode button and select the desired mode before tapping the route + button.
  5. For multi leg routes continue to add legs by dragging the map and tapping the Route + button.
  6. When you are done, tap the Measure Tool button. Select 'Save' and the route is added to the top of the Trip Log and marked "Measured".
  7. To navigate along this route, go to the Trip Log and select its pin-to-map button. The trip is now shown on the map until such time as you un-pin it.
You can edit this route by tapping the pencil button in the route's Trip Log entry.

The 'Along Roads' and 'Along Roads & Trails' options will sometimes pick a route that you don't like. Make a note of where the route took a wrong turn. Tap the - button to remove leg you just added. Now pick a new end point for the leg that is just before the wrong turn and add back the leg to that spot. For the next leg, pick an end point that is on the correct path.

If you only need a temporary route from your current location to a destination then see the post "How can I create a route from my current location to a destination?"