I imported a complicated trail map. Can I plan a route through the trail system?

Answers to common questions.
bruce@handylogic.ca
Site Admin

I imported a complicated trail map. Can I plan a route through the trail system?

Post by bruce@handylogic.ca » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:20 pm

Yes.

Help Video: Plan Route Through Trail Map

1. Go to the Trip Log page and tap the trail map's preview map to select it onto the Map Page.
  2. Place the crosshair ⊹ at your route start location on the trail map. Tap the Measure Tool button.
  3. Tap the route mode button and select 'Along Track From Trip Log'. You are now ready to create a route that follows the trails in the trail map.
  4. You must create your route in steps, by starting a new leg each time the route crosses a trail intersection:
    1. Move the crosshair ⊹ so it is just before the first trail intersection that your route will cross. Tap route +. Trail Boss will add a leg to your route that follows the trail from your start point to the intersection.
    2. Move the crosshair ⊹ so it is just after the intersection, on the new trail that you want to follow. Tap route +. Trail Boss will add a small leg to your route that jumps the intersection.
    3. Move the crosshair ⊹ to the next intersection and repeat the process.
    4. The intersection jumps should be small or Trail Boss might not recognize that you are jumping an intersection. Zoom in close to facilitate this.
  5. Continue to add legs, jumping each intersection as described, until you reach your destination.
  6. Tap the measure tool button and select Save. Your route is added to the top of the trip log and marked ‘Measured’. Pin it to the map when you want to use it for navigation.
If your route must cross a gap in the trail you can try jumping the gap as you would an intersection. If that doesn't work you can temporarily switch to Straight Line mode to jump the gap, then switch back to routing along tracks.